So in Season 1 Derek:
- Lied to Allison about his relationship with Scott so that he could take her home, get her jacket, and teach Scott a lesson.
- Showed up in both Scott’s and Stiles’ rooms unannounced.
- And then shoved them both into a wall.
- Showed up in the locker room to threaten Jackson.
- Tied up Dr. Deaton, physically assaulted him, and threatened him in an attempt to gain information.
- Killed his uncle to avenge the death of his sister.
And those are just the things that I can recall off the top of my head.
So when I see Derek lying, manipulating, and using other shady techniques to achieve the result that he wants… I am not surprised. Nor do I think that the writers have committed an injustice by taking his character down this path. Derek has proven himself time and time again to be a person who is willing to get his hands dirty. It’s who he is.
That doesn’t mean that the good things he’s done are any less good. It doesn’t mean that HE isn’t good. It just means that he has some complexity, a dark edge. He isn’t a cut-and-dried hero. There’s nothing wrong with that and, in my opinion, there’s nothing OOC about it, either.